Presented in Partnership with:

Types of Air Pollution Permits

Different types of air permits apply, based upon the pounds of emission and the type of air pollutant emissions from your facility or operations. Again the pounds of emissions are calculated from your MTE and PTE mentioned earlier.

The General Operating Permit is required for most small or medium-sized industries that have emissions below certain thresholds or because they are covered by a specific Federal requirement.

A Major Source Air Operation Permit is also called a Title V Permit and is required for companies that have large or very large air emissions from their facilities. The Synthetic Minor Air Operation Permit is for sources that may have large potential emissions, but can take restrictions to stay below major source levels. It may also be referred to as a FESOP or Federally Enforceable State Operating Permit.

Generally, air-operating permits are good for 5 years, unless there are significant changes that require either a new permit or a permit modification. The date of expiration for the original permit, however, remains the same if the permit is just revised. If you are a new source of air emissions, installing new equipment, or making configuration or process changes that may have an effect on air emissions, you must get a construction permit. For example, if you are:

  • Installing a new tank line,
  • Changing or installing a new coating application systems,
  • Installing a new cleaning system,
  • Installing a new paint booth,
  • Installing control devices, or
  • Proceeding with other process additions or changes that affect air emissions.
Construction permits are generally good for 18 months, but check with your state agency to be certain.



The information contained in this site is provided for your review and convenience. It is not intended to provide legal advice with respect to any federal, state, or local regulation.
You should consult with legal counsel and appropriate authorities before interpreting any regulations or undertaking any specific course of action.

Please note that many of the regulatory discussions on STERC refer to federal regulations. In many cases, states or local governments have promulgated relevant rules and standards
that are different and/or more stringent than the federal regulations. Therefore, to assure full compliance, you should investigate and comply with all applicable federal, state and local regulations.